Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thursday Cheers and Jeers

Because if everybody gave good service, what would we have to talk about on the interwebs?

Cheers
  • Five Guys Burgers and Fries. I finally broke down, took a little break from the diet, and tried one of their cheeseburgers. The thing was huge! But also pretty tasty. Definitely not somewhere I'd wanna dine on a regular basis, but I suppose once in a blue moon isn't so bad.
  • Regina Automotive Warehouse (latest in a series!). Roy, Ken and the guys really give excellent automotive service, at a very fair price. What more do you want?
  • Chapters. As a parent of a 13-year old voracious reader (yes, it's possible!), I appreciate having a big bookstore with plenty of selection in our part of town.
  • Moose Jaw Warriors. If this keeps up, they might just be celebrating a WHL championship down the highway.

Jeers

  • Stanley Cup playoffs. Yes, I'm bitter because I don't have a team to cheer for. I suppose cheering against the Canucks will have to do!
  • Odell Willis. The newly acquired Rider defensive end picked up a DUI charge in Hotlanta over the weekend. Is this guy going to be more trouble than he's worth?
  • Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Loved the burger, hated the restaurant. Is it really such a good idea to have peanut shells all over the floor when every second kid these days has a peanut allergy? Plus it's just a sloppy mess.

1 comment:

Bev said...

Hi, Pete!

Cheers:

- A week off! Granted, I put in the overtime to take this time off, but it's nice to have a week off and not have to use up holidays just to stay home.
- The vets at the Animal Clinic of Regina are the best.
- Beer Bros - They usually take such good care of us. :) And yummy gluten-free pizzas!
- Did I mention a week off work?

Jeers:
- Beer Bros - As much as I love them, there are people in our group who refuse to go there anymore because they've instituted an automatic 20% tip for large groups. The first time we heard about it, we had terrible service. That was also the first time we *had* terrible service there.
- Leader-Post, who insists on starting delivery of flyers and inconsequential side newspapers every few months or so, even when you've told them not to. Their excuse? "Well, what if you move?" THEN THE NEW PEOPLE CAN CONTACT YOU. I've been here 15 years. It's not like moving is inevitable.
- The American Department of Justice - Yes, let's prosecute a few publishers for setting a different type of pricing for e-books, which was their response to a huge, money-grubbing corporation taking money out of their and their authors' pockets by severely undercutting pricing. After all, setting this type of pricing is bad for competition. A huge, online, NON-TAX-PAYING monopoly - who sets prices no brick-and-mortar business can compete with - is MUCH better for competition. (And, I'll ask my question once again: If price-setting is such a bad thing, then why doesn't the DoJ do something about gas prices? Oh, wait. I forgot. Oil is much more important to politicians than books...)
- Amazon.
- Robocallers who call at 8 am, pulling me out of bed early on my week off. Of course, these are the illegal scammers, so they don't care.

Huh. Didn't think I had much to jeer about this week, but I guess there's a few things that have got under my skin lately.

Have a great week, Pete!