- What a bizarre week. I woke up Monday in Regina, Tuesday and Wednesday in Ontario, and back in Regina Thursday. I'm tired.
- I'm pleased to report that Mom still makes darn tasty potato pancakes.
- I took some time to check out the new workplace today. I think I'll like it.
- Anyone else frustrated by the way the Regina Pats season is winding down?
- If the Pats make the playoffs, they're first round cannon fodder.
- Fans are intrigued by the Saskatchewan Roughriders' signing of import running back Justin Beaver. Really though, can you ever have too many beavers around?
- I honestly don't see how the Arizona Cardinals can hope to knock off Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl. I've love it if they could, though.
- It's off to Rouleau in the morning for Jacob's hockey tournament. Good times.
- A couple co-workers and I have snared prime seats for an NBA game in Houston Tuesday night. Rockets vs the Bulls.
- I just realized this will be my first NBA regular season game. Cool.
- SportZone returns with all-new episodes in two weeks. Can't you just feel the excitement?
- Join our SportZone group on Facebook. Don't cost ya nothin'!
Friday, January 30, 2009
Friday, January 23, 2009
- The break from the bitter cold was nice. Now that the respite is over, how long before we're all collectively bitchy again?
- Anyone know where I can get a monthly parking spot near the Hill Towers?
- I'm starting to really look forward to my trip to Houston the first week of February.
- I'm also looking forward to escorting young Jacob to the Pats game tonight.
- Sitting in the stands surrounded by elementary school kids? Not so much.
- It's time for the Pats to show us they've got the pieces in place for a bit of a playoff run this year.
- Can you imagine if the Pats get Jordan Eberle and Colten Teubert back next year? I'm not banking on it, but wow!
- On the flip side, if they don't get the dynamic duo back it'll be wow for completely different reasons.
- So, if my math is good, the Riders are in the market for three assistant coaches. Or is it four? Definitely two on defense (including a defensive coordinator) and one or two offensive assistants.
- Ron Estay will be missed around these parts. You won't find many better people than the old Swamp Dog around the CFL. Good luck and good health coach!
- Is it too early to start planning for the 2009 RMF season?
- Don't count on Mitchell Blair joining the CKRM team anytime soon. Which is unfortunate.
Monday, January 19, 2009
- I guess I'm going to be an Arizona Cardinals fan for the next two weeks.
- Cards receiver Larry Fitzgerald would be a mega star if he played in city like New York or Los Angeles. As it is, he's still emerging as a star on the level of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens.
- I strongly, strongly dislike the Pittsburgh Steelers. Growing up a Dallas Cowboys fan, there was no other choice but to loathe the Steelers.
- If I didn't hate his team inherently, I'd say Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger is a pretty darn fine quarterback, especially when the games really matter.
- Heck, I'll say it anyway - Big Ben is a football stud.
- No new episodes of SportZone until Feb 10th. Are you going to be okay?
- I survived Krav Maga training sessions on Thursday and Saturday. Maybe there's some hope for me yet!
- I'm looking forward to Friday night's Pats game against the Kootenay Ice. Lets see if Derkatch's crew can get on a roll in the final third of the season.
- I predict the fans in Saskatoon will get to watch John Tavares' first NHL training camp when the New York Islanders come to town next fall.
- Unless the Leafs can find a way to suck more than the Isles over the next couple of months. It's possible, I suppose.
Friday, January 16, 2009
- If the Regina Pats have any aspirations of home ice advantage in the first round of the WHL playoffs, they must take four points from Moose Jaw this weekend. Simple as that.
- Yes, it seems odd to be considering home ice advantage for a team that sits in 10th place in the eastern conference.
- As a one-time Dallas Cowboys fan, I'm required to hate the Pittsburgh Steelers. Still, they look like the best of the four remaining NFL teams.
- Mitch Blair's unceremonious departure from Rawlco Radio this week reminds me which aspects of the radio biz I don't miss very much.
- If CKRM is thinking about beefing up its sports department, Mitch would seem to be a logical choice.
- Hopefully the warmer weather this weekend improves people's attitudes around here. Collective bitchiness is quite the thing to behold!
- Anyone ever been to Houston? I'm headed there on business the first week of February, and could use some suggestions on places to see and things to do.
- It's quiet in Riderville, as CFL free agency approaches in mid-February. Is it the calm before the storm?
Thursday, January 15, 2009
SportZone Guests for Jan 14/08
Community Co-Host: Corey Matthews
1. (Team profile) The Regina Red Sox pick a local product as the team’s new head coach. Guest: Rob Cherepuschak (Head Coach).
2. (High school segment) A review of the first half of the high school athletics season, and a preview of 2nd half highlights. Guest: Greg Johnson (RHSAA Commissioner).
3. (Event Profile) An update on preparations for the 2009 CIS women’s basketball championships, to be held in Regina this spring. Guest: Twyla Meredith (Host Committee Chair).
4. (Regina Sport spotlight) Regina’s representative in the NFL looks back at his 2008 season. Guest: Jon Ryan (Seattle Seahawks punter).
5. (U of R segment) A profile of the University of Regina women’s volleyball team. Guests: Kelly Cowan & Tammy Jule (Players).
SportZone trivia: With which team did Regina's Jon Ryan launch his professional football career?
Answer: Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
Congratulations to Samroon James of Regina, this week's "smartest SportZone viewer".
Saturday, January 10, 2009
The Pittsburgh Penguins are underachieving in a big way this season. Quinn likes coaching an uptempo style, and seems to work pretty well with young talent - case in point Team Canada at the world junior tournament. So, maybe it won't be Senator Quinn, but Pat the Penguin. Crazier stuff has happened.
Pats Quiet on Trade Deadline Day
Regina, Saskatchewan – The clock struck 4pm Regina time, and the Pats remained silent during the final hours of the WHL trade deadline. While some teams made a flurry of deals over the past 12 hours, the Pats remained satisfied with the moves they made earlier in the week:
Tuesday, January 6th – The Pats acquired 20 year-old forward Matt Robertson from the Prince Albert raiders in exchange for 20 year-old forward Michael MacAngus and a 2009 4th round bantam pick. In his first game with the Pats on Friday night, Robertson collected a goal and an assist.
Friday, January 9th – The Pats acquired 20 year-old defenceman Jesse Dudas from the Swift Current Broncos in exchange for a 4th round bantam pick in 2010. The Pats expect him in the line-up tomorrow night against the Edmonton Oil Kings.
With the acquisition of Dudas, the Pats have re-assigned defenceman Koltyn Miller to the Nipawin Hawks of the SJHL.
With the return of players from the World Junior Hockey Championships and World U-17 Hockey Challenge the Pats re-assigned a quartet of players this week:
Cody Hanson – Melville Millionaires (SJHL)
Andrew Reider – Regina Pat C’s (SMAAAHL)
Clarke Breitkreuz - Yorkton Terriers (SJHL)
Travis Sparrow – Moose Jaw Warriors (SMAAAHL)
The Pats still await the return of a pair of players as Rudolf Cerveny is expected back in the line-up this week after some time off in his home of the Czech Republic and defenceman Matt Delahey who will still be out another 2 weeks with an injured shoulder.
The blue and white will be back on the ice tomorrow night, hosting the Edmonton Oil Kings, puck drops at 6pm at the Brandt Centre.
Thursday, January 08, 2009
Wednesday, January 07, 2009
SportZone Guests for Jan 7/09
1. (Team profile) An update on the Regina Rebels female midget AAA hockey team, coming off a successful performance at the Mac’s tournament over the holidays. Guests: Doug Folk (Head Coach) & Richelle Zimmer (Player).
2. (Athlete/team profile) An update on the 2008/09 Regina Pats. Guests: Alex Pym & Garrett Mitchell (Players).
3. (Regina Sport Spotlight) The Campbell Tartans gun for a second straight city 5A high school girl’s basketball championship. Guests: Megan Chamberlain & Kelsey Lothian (Players).
4. (Event profile) The Regina Wheelchair Rugby Club prepares for another international competition. Guests: Jason Hubbs (Coach) & Cory Harrower (Competitor).
SportZone trivia: Which two Regina Pats represented Canada at the just-completed World Junior Hockey championships? Email your answer, and your contact info, to firstname.lastname@example.org.