Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday musings

So many thoughts, so little bandwidth!

  • As much as his football acumen will be missed, Eric Tillman's departure from Riderville really is best for all concerned.
  • I don't have any preference as to who his successor should be, but I imagine it's a contest between current football operations staffers Joe Womack and Brendan Taman.
  • Losing John Chick to the NFL's Indianapolis Colts creates a huge hole in the defensive line, and in the community. Chick is a first-class player and person.
  • I'm hearing the other starting defensive end from last season, Stevie Baggs, likely won't be back either.
  • Is Andy Fantuz getting any NFL tryouts? Frankly, I'm not too worried about the potential of losing Fantuz to "the show".
  • In the end, the Regina Pats decided to keep Jordan Eberle and Colten Teubert, and try to make a run at the playoffs.
  • I understand the Pats tried to land a veteran netminder (which I felt should have been a top priority), but were unsuccessful. Well, at least they tried.
  • I also wanted the Pats to land a stay-at-home defenceman, which they did in 20 year old Mitch McColm - acquired from Chilliwack for overage blueliner Matt Delahey. However, I was hoping they would hang on to Delahey too.
  • Jordan Eberle has 30 goals, with 27 games to play. Can he hit 50? I wouldn't bet against it.
  • Did you hear Pats owner Russ Parker get booed during Friday night's pre-game ceremonies? The natives are restless, that's for sure.
  • I can't believe the Green Bay Packers' season ended like that! The Pack lost 51-45 to Arizona in overtime in round one of the playoffs.
  • However, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (outdueled by Cards veteran Kurt Warner) served notice that he's ready to ascend to the ranks of elite NFL quarterbacks. I guess that's a plus.
  • For weeks I've been telling anyone who would listen that the Packers defence isn't as good as everyone thinks. Clearly, they aren't.
  • So, now who do I cheer for? Brett Favre and (spit) Minnesota? Sorry, can't. I think I'll pull for a New Orleans/Indianapolis Super Bowl and probably end up rooting for the Saints to win their first title.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that Pats fans are dissappointed with the past few seasons but booing Russ? He freakin' saved the franchise. That's not deserved what-so-ever.