Monday, May 11, 2009

Why little Johnny is an idiot

Is it any wonder the workforce is full of young people - and not so young people - who can't read or write or perform simple math calculations when policies like this are in place? Is there something wrong with expecting students to achieve the minimum standard of 50% in order to pass? And yes, it is too damn bad if a 46% in grade 12 chemistry prevents little Johnny from graduating. Suck it up and take the damn class in summer school, instead of blaming the teacher, society, television and the internet for Johnny's lazy-ass academic performance!

You know what? I got a 48 in grade 12 math the first time around. At first, I was seriously pissed at my teacher for not bumping me up to a 50. And I figured I had a pretty good reason to be cut some slack, as my dad had died a couple months earlier.

But, I eventually realized I failed because I didn't do enough to pass. Simple as that. I took the class in summer school - got a B - and moved on with life. How are kids supposed to learn from their failures if we don't let the little dears have any? Failures, that is. God forbid we should have a little accountability in this world.

I'll step down from my soapbox now.

3 comments:

Caesar said...

U know what ticks me off, is these idiots that work with their cell phone. ie. 7-11 she was actually talking on her cell phone and holding up the line!! Then proceeded to screw up giving change three times out of seven people...THE TOTAL IS ON THE TILL - READ IT!! hahaha...
How can you honestly screw up being a cashier, when EVERYTHING is scanned now!

Don't get me started with people on cell phones while driving! hahaha..the other day my brother texts me whilst driving saying "why didn't you wave at me!?" I got the text when I pulled into the parking lot...and wondered...why are you texting and driving!! LOL

Pac58 said...

Regina drivers are scary enough. Add talking and/or texting to the mix and it's a miracle dozens of people aren't killed every day!

A couple weeks ago, I almost got smoked by a young lady driving the wrong way down a one-way street while...you guessed it, talking on her cell. She probably still hasn't figured out why I flipped her the bird!

Bev said...

What I like is that the minister responsible said 'I've never heard any complaints before'. Umm... Perhaps he hasn't been listening?

People (not just kids) do need to learn that their actions (or lack thereof) have consequences. School is a much safer learning opportunity than on the job.