Friday, May 01, 2009

Friday thoughts

So many thoughts, so little lucidity...


  • I'd like the Stanley Cup to come back to Canada, but I'm sticking with my adopted BlackHawks over Vancouver.
  • Malkin, Crosby and Gonchar vs Ovechkin, Semin and Green. This Pittsburgh/Washington series should be a ring-a-ding-dong-dandy!
  • Crosby is not the best player in the NHL. In fact, he's the second best player on his own team.
  • I'm not even sure Sid the Kid is the best Canadian player in the league. A strong case is building for Regina's Ryan Getzlaf on that one.
  • If Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau are on Canada's 2010 Olympic hockey team, we won't win the gold medal.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and interviewing Rider legend George Reed this week. He absolutely lived up to the advance billing.
  • Speaking of brushes with greatness, tell me about your most memorable moments. Who did you meet that was everything you hoped for and more? Did anyone disappoint you?
  • I have to say Bobby Hull was a bit of a disappointment - not the friendliest guy ever. I've interviewed a few NBA guys, and they had a pretty high opinion of themselves. Generally, NHL and CFL players are great to talk to. Coaches are kind of hit and miss. It depends on their personality, and the situation.
  • Let's hope the weather cooperates with the start of young Jacob's baseball season this weekend. I wouldn't mind getting some tennis in before June either.
  • To the young lady who almost t-boned me while she blew through an intersection - while driving the wrong way on a one-way street - yesterday: WAKE THE HELL UP!
  • Regina might have the most lousy drivers per capita of any Canadian city.
  • Hey Mayor Pat/Premier Brad: You may want to use Wascana Racing Canoe Club Head Coach Dave Richardson as an example of ex-pats who were lured back home to Saskatchewan in your next marketing campaign. Dave, the 2008 U.S. Coach of the Year. was living and working just outside of Atlanta (where it doesn't snow at the end of April!) for the past two years, and returned home to Regina this winter. Welcome home, Dave!
  • I like Regina too, but I'm quite looking forward to the annual pilgrimage to southern Ontario with Jacob in July. Home is where you live, but it's also where you're from.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete! Hope all is well with you.

I met Gordie Howe in Regina a numbers of years back. He was a real decent guy. He loved talking hockey and was real down to earth. The man had a handshake like a vise-grip and even at his age was a huge man, well scarred. It was a good experience with a Saskatchewan legend.

It appears that Windsor is theis years OHL powerhouse. They dumped Barmpton 10-1 the other night..ouch. London gave up a lot to get Tavares and it didn't work out. These things often don't. A Calgary/Windsor Mem Cup final would be great.

The Pats drafted a lot of smurfs this year. Lets hope they got the skill-speed vs size-grit thing properly balanced. These guys are still 3-4 yrs from being impact players. They still haven't got the coaching thing finalized, who knows. They have a ton of work to do in order to put a championship team on the ice next year. They claim they are not in a rebuilding mode. They need to acquire spped, talent and depth. Being led by BP doen't fill me full of confidence.

Old Fan

Pac58 said...

Hi OF,

That Windsor/London series was dynamite. Every game was decided in overtime. It looks like the Spits are going to roll over Brampton in the OHL final.

At least London saw an opportunity and went for it. Which is more than I can say for some teams...

Good point about the smurfs. Speed is great, as long as they can put the puck in the net when they get there!

I'm still hoping to meet Howe someday. I see Darryl Sittler is in town later this month. My first hockey hero. I wonder if I can get an interview for my show?