Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday musings

Reflections on a weekend that literally flew by:

  • Would a Detroit/Chicago NHL Western Conference final symbolize a passing of the torch between the league's current big cats and the team that's poised to take over?
  • Let's face it, the Eastern Conference teams are playing for the right to lose in the Cup final.
  • I'd respect Sidney Crosby a lot more if he wasn't shown chirping to the referees during every stoppage in play.
  • Between the whistles, he's money.
  • It's a battle of the unbeaten teams in Minor A baseball tonight, as young Jacob's Twins go up against the high-flying Rockies.
  • Darryl Sittler is my all-time favourite Toronto Maple Leaf. Darryl Sittler will be in Regina May 27th. May 27th is my birthday. Now you know what to get me this year!
  • I wonder if being dismissed by the Pats will turn out to be a blessing in disguise for Dale Derkatch and Terry Perkins.
  • The choice between Curtis Hunt and Michael Dyck as the next Pats coach is a choice between two seemingly divergent coaching philosophies. Dyck's teams have employed a more wide-open approach, while defence is job #1 (and #2, and #3) with Hunt's teams.
  • Can you imagine the mayhem that would result, if stupid people ever realized - even if just for one day - their own obvious intellectual shortcomings? (ie: "Holy crap Lurch, I'm actually an idiot! I never knew!") I'm just saying.
  • I honestly doubt there's anything cooler than playing catch, or shinny, or shooting hoops etc. with your own child. I'm fully aware of how lucky I am to be able to do that.
  • Two months from today the Jakester and I will be watching the Riders and Argos do battle in Toronto. Good times.
  • Suffice to say I'm really looking forward to this year's southern Ontario pilgrimage.
  • Whenever I feel hard done by lately I think of my friend Dave, who is in the final stages of his battle with stomach cancer. Dave is only 36, and has a wife and two young sons. My heart goes out to them.

No comments: