Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday musings

It's best to clear the brain before starting a new work week, I suppose.

  • Lots of people were disappointed in their quest for AC/DC tickets this weekend. This is what happens when major events come to town. Reginans should start getting used to it.
  • From reading the on-line comments on the Leader-Post website, it would appear most disgruntled AC/DC fans are also quite illiterate. Not exactly shocking news, I suppose.
  • Yes, I got my tickets. That doesn't make me smarter, just luckier.
  • I'm going to more concerts in my 40's than I did for most of my 30's. I wonder if....oh, right. Disposable income.
  • Man, I don't miss those radio paycheques!
  • The London Knights blew a two goal lead in the third period and lost to Windsor in overtime on national tv yesterday. Ouch.
  • The Spits lead that OHL conference final 2-1, with all three games decided in overtime.
  • Out west, I'm wondering if anyone can stop the Calgary Hitmen? Doesn't look like it so far.
  • Chuck Liddell is done as a UFC competitor. Too bad, so sad. The Iceman should walk away before he further tarnishes his legacy.
  • The service at the Four Season's was BRUTAL for the UFC pay-per-view on Saturday night. The waitress forgot to order my food (WTF?), so it took over an hour to get nachos. And, no discount was offered for the inconvenience. Where is George finding these people?
  • Speaking of the aforementioned nachos, I think it's time to end my long-term relationship with jalapeno peppers.
  • I came to that conclusion when my stomach ordered me to get out of bed at 7:30 Sunday morning. Maybe we just need some time apart.
  • Are the Toronto Blue Jays for real? I don't know, but I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts.
  • Lord knows, sports fans in Toronto need something to get excited about!
  • It pleases me to know the Montreal Canadians will be golfing by this time next week.
  • I'm pleased to announce the atom Cougars have secured the services of John Makie Sr. as our full-time offensive coordinator this season. This is a significant offseason acquisition!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pete,

I don't understand "tarnishing a legacy". Careers have ups then downs, and when it is over people always remember the collective good. I say they should go, until they absolutely can not go anymore.

I remember Brian Trottier finishing with the Penguins, and Messier missing the playoffs the last 7 years, and Damon Allan etc. They are warriors, and they'll go until they are told they can't anymore. No shame in that at all.

Pac58 said...

I've always preferred the adage "leave 'em wanting more". In each of those cases you listed, they stayed past the point where they had the ability to change a game with their performance. Their leadership, sure. But not their performance.

Plus, by hanging on well past their prime, athletes in team sports prevent the next generation of stars from moving up. I'd be interested to know how many good quarterbacks didn't get an opportunity with Toronto, because Damon Allen a) Didn't know when to walk away, and b) wouldn't mentor the young quarterbacks behind him on the depth chart.

Gretzky got it right.