Monday, May 12, 2008

Parker battling cancer

This blogger's thoughts and prayers are with Regina Pats General Manager Brent Parker and his family today. The following is a statement issued by the Pats this afternoon:

General Manager Addresses Health Issue

Regina, SK – Regina Pats General Manager Brent Parker has issued the following statement in response to the numerous rumors and questions that have been circulating regarding his health:

“Over the past couple of weeks there have been numerous inquiries pertaining to the state of my health. My family and I had hoped to keep this matter private but understand that the nature of my business does not always allow for that to happen. I have recently been diagnosed with a form of soft tissue cancer that was located in my upper back and shoulder. To this point I have undergone one procedure and will undergo further tests and procedures in the coming days and weeks that will determine the full extent of what lies ahead. I have received tremendous care and encouragement from the doctors here in Regina as well as those at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in Calgary and I am confident that while I do have some challenges ahead my condition is treatable."

"I appreciate the concern that has been shown regarding my health, and I’m sure you can all understand what my family and I are going through has been tough on us all. On this note I would appreciate you respecting our family’s privacy as we deal with this matter.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have lost many friends and associates to this disease, so I am very clsoe to it. This goes far beyond sport and I hope that all turns out well for Brent.

On a different note, Congrats to the Humboldt Broncos, who did a hell of a job this year. I read where the SJHL has been in the final game 6 out of 8 years the RBC Cup has been in existence. The only times they weren't there was when the MJHL represented the west. In those 6 trips to the final, they have won gold three times and silver three times.It is a superior Jr "A" League.

Pac58 said...

My mom battled cancer and won two years ago. I sure hope Brent does the same.

Yeah, we kind of forget about the SJHL sometimes here in the "big city". Definitely congrats to the Broncos, and to the league as a whole.