Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What a friggin' joke!

Have any of you ever gone through the process of a safety rating appeal with the Saskatchewan Highway Traffic Board? What a waste of time that is!

Here's the deal: I was in a minor fender-bender in February. The streets in downtown Regina were pure ice, and - thanks to the wind - the city hadn't put any sand down. To make matters worse, Grandma Moses in the mini-van ahead of me decides to stop IMMEDIATELY after turning the corner from 12th Avenue onto Cornwall. Did I mention you couldn't see around the corner, because the view was obstructed by a van that parked right up to the corner? I estimate I took that corner at a perilous 10 km/h, and hit the (anti-lock) brakes the instant I saw the mini-van ahead of me. So, I ended up sliding agonizingly s-l-o-w-l-y into the back of grandma's van. Cracked her rear bumper. No damage to my vehicle.

Armed with this information, along with supporting weather charts from Environment Canada and an accurate description of the accident scene, I naively thought I had a decent chance of winning my appeal. Now, let's be clear - all I was appealing was the six point impact on SGI's safety rating scale. At the very least, I expected a reduction - based on extenuating circumstances.

Long story short - the learned appeal panel (I think they may have been grandmothers also - conspiracy!) ruled against me. "Deficient attention" was their judgement. No, ladies - I believe YOU were the ones practising deficient attention. Can you tell me how - without x-ray vision - anyone could have prevented that mishap? I've got your "deficient attention" right here, you blue-haired hags!

Venting helps, but I'm dying to know: has anyone ever won one of these appeals? Is it even possible?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I have won. You have to go to small claims court if your within the time limit. You have to attest that you were not responsible for the accident. Your claim has to suggest that the operator of the other vehicle had no reason to stop short(driving without reasonable consideration for others). In light of the perilous road conditions, lack of maintenence, and proxomity of cars to one another in the downtown area, the outcome was an expected event. Many of the trial judges in small claims court are very good and will give weight to your evidence. If they find you to be NOT AT FAULT, SGI cannot find you at fault nor can they put points on your driving abstract. Good luck in your quest but the SGI people can be tough to deal with.

OLD FAN

Pac58 said...

Hmm, that's just crazy enough to work! I thought I had no hope of contesting the "at fault" aspect, as I ran into her. But, I think it's at least worth a shot. Can't be any worse than the closed minds at the HTB.

Anonymous said...

Ya it costs $ 25.00 to get a summons issued by the court. It can be served or mailed. You have to declare that you feel the other driver is at fault and state your reasons why. In about 6 months you will get a hearing date and you bring your case forward. At least everything is put on hold and you get your chance to actually talk to a judge. The SGI appeal board you were at can actually mitigate your accident and recommend lesser points or none at all. They could have chosen to look at extenuating circumstances but evidently didn't. Again good luck.

OLD FAN

Anonymous said...

Nashville and Atlanta just can't get it right. I think the Preds are going to clean house after this series. Both of those teams mortgaged their future on guys who haven't shown up.

The WHL awards still seem to be a popularity contest. I have nothing against Robertson in the east, but over Hanzal??????? It is still about 1st year in the league right!! Eberle did what Robertson did, played at the winter games, and is a full year younger. Oh well I don't think the Pats and Parker will ever win any popularity contests.

warman_man said...

Hi
I am at the same situation. Did you appealed to small claim court and won?

Pac58 said...

I didn't. Gave up after the experience with the appeal board.