Monday, February 01, 2010

Monday musings

Where the heck did that weekend go? Well, time to clear out a few thoughts, I suppose:

  • As much as I'd like to see New Orleans win, I can't see them knocking off Peyton Manning and the Colts in the Super Bowl.
  • If the Colts win, does Manning (a record 4-time league MVP) start being referred to as the best quarterback of all time?
  • At the very least, he moves onto a short list that also includes Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas and - maybe - Brett Favre.
  • Dion Phaneuf is a Toronto Maple Leaf. Excuse me while I don't do backflips about the Leafs acquiring another big defenceman who doesn't skate overly well.
  • The weekend moves still don't address the fact Toronto doesn't have a first round draft pick in 2010 or 2011.
  • And, after Nazem Kadri's performance at the World Juniors (particularly the gold medal game), I'm not too excited about their first rounder from the 2009 draft either.
  • I never thought I'd be envious of the folks (both of them) who cheer for the L.A. Kings. Go figure.
  • The Regina Pats just can't seem to close any ground on the teams they need to catch for a WHL playoff spot. And there's only 20 games left for a final push.
  • She's not singing yet, but the heavy-set lady is definitely warming up.
  • The J-man erupted for four points in three games on the weekend. His team lost two and tied one.
  • The tie snapped a lengthy losing skid for the Atom T3 Hawks.
  • What's a bigsexydawg, and why should I care?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Second that on the Phaneuf trade. Basically we got an underachieving player that Calgary has completely given up on. If he couldn't play for Brent Sutter, then I can just imagine how well he'll get along with Ron Wilson.

I believe Dion Phaneuf has taken the money, and run. He went to crap status the day after he signed his long term deal.

Anonymous said...

You got a first rounder from Anaheim in the Toskala trade. Of course, you also got Giguere.

If the Bigsexydawg comment is aimed at the clown that is on riderfans.com, I wouldn't worry about it. The guy is the biggest idiot I have ever met. His name is Dwayne Tomprowski and he works for ISC. He is one of the main reasons I stopped visiting riderfans.com.

Rob

Pac58 said...

That was the initial report on the trade, but it turned out to be Toskala and Blake for Giguere. No picks going either way.

I think the only way Toronto gets back into the first round of the draft is to deal Kaberle. Not sure how I feel about that though.

Nothing good ever happens after midnight, or on fan message boards.

Anonymous said...

Today's NHL is all about Cap Space and Draft picks. If there are no picks then it puts the rebuilding even further back. Washington, Pittsburgh, San Jose, and Chicago are all prime examples of teams having a focused plan to build through the draft. Bottom line is if you do not draft well you are screwed. Brian Burke had no drafting record to speak of, and had a very good core he inherited from Bryan Murray. I'm a Leaf's fan, and I have no idea when this thing will ever be turned around. I can live with the trade as something had to be done, but geez it is frustrating following this team.