Saturday, October 03, 2009

Putting it all in perspective

People (including this blogger) that are inclined to wail and gnash their teeth over the Saskatchewan Roughriders' loss to the B.C. Lions need to pause and look at the bigger picture. Sure it was a tough loss, but I was saddened last night to hear of an even bigger loss.

I logged onto Facebook last night after the game only to learn that Barry Davies had died. For those of you who don't know, Barry was a long-time morning man on CKCK (62 Kool) radio in Regina. He was also my friend.

Barry and I actually worked together twice during our radio careers. He was the morning man/sales manager at the first radio station I worked at in Saskatchewan, the WKRP-esque (and long gone) SUN 102FM in Saskatoon. I arrived in 1992, and was the morning sportscaster and morning show sidekick. We worked hard and occasionally played even harder in those days.

We reunited in the late 1990's when Harvard Broadcasting took over the operation of CKCK radio, and brought Barry in for a second stint as the morning show host. He and I became the morning show team and worked hard to restore the once-dominant station to some small measure of its past greatness. Again, we worked hard and had some fun doing it.

As much as I enjoyed working with Barry, I enjoyed his friendship even more. He and and his then-wife Randene opened their home to me and were among the most supportive people in my life during the darkest days of my divorce in the early part of this decade. I will never forget their kindness, or the way they welcomed me and a very young J-man into their home and their lives.

I left the radio business exactly two weeks before CKCK disappeared from the airwaves. True to his nature, Barry was there right up until the bitter end. Unfortunately, our paths seldom crossed after that, as we went our separate ways in our professional and personal lives.

Having heard of Barry's passing, I'm kicking myself now for not keeping in touch these last few years. I only hope wherever he is today he knows how grateful I am to have known him. Rest well, old friend. Your struggle is over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pistol Pete,

I too am saddened to hear of the passing of Barry Davies. Very nice touch on your Blog about Barry. I am an old listener who would appreciate some information on what happened to Barry after the CKCK days. I know he left the station not very happy, but where did he go? I cannot believe he left the radio bizz, he was one of the best ever. Where did he pass away, in Saskatchewan? Was his illness sudden or was it a long battle? Where is the funeral and is there an obituary?

I would appreciate any information that you could provide.

Paul

Pac58 said...

Hi Paul,

To the best of my knowledge, Barry didn't work in radio again after leaving CKCK. I could be wrong though.

I heard that he moved back to the west coast (where he was originally from), and then most recently was living in Saskatoon. He had apparently been in very poor health for a while.

I haven't seen an obituary, which is odd because I'm told Barry passed away last weekend. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that information Pete.

Paul