Thursday, June 04, 2009

What the hell were they thinking?

My Rider season tickets arrived in the mail today. At least I think they did. It looks like I'll have to wander down the post office to see for sure, as the mail carrier only left a notice in my mailbox.

However, it would appear my parking pass for the 2009 season was delivered. And that's what has caused me to scratch my head in bemusement this afternoon. For some unknown reason, the Riders have switched from parking decals (hung from rear-view mirrors) to stickers this year. Um, why?

Actually, I assume it's a parking pass that I've received. There was no explanatory letter, no note, nothing in the envelope but a sticker and a receipt. I guess the top-notch marketing staff at the Rider office didn't think to include any sort of explanation, or instructions? Do I stick the sticker on my front window? Back window? I have several exciting ideas for where they could stick theirs, but I digress.

Seriously, what horrendous problem was this move designed to fix? Was there a lot of parking decal tomfoolery going on? Quite frankly, if I pay for a parking pass and decide to loan my pass to someone else for a game - whose business is that? Was there a burgeoning black market in counterfeit passes developing?

Here are the problems this creates:

1) Stickers are tacky, and a pain in the butt to remove after the season.
2) What if my vehicle is in the shop? Do I get to pay twice for parking for that game?
3) What if I sell my vehicle? Stickers aren't exactly transferrable!

Frankly, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And the lack of communication on the issue is quite bush league, actually. Or am I missing something?

No comments: