Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday musings

Time to dry out a water-logged noggin:

  • Father's Day was great. The J-man presented me with a very nice Rider decorative mug, and lots of hugs.
  • He actually got a little nervous when I was looking at the same mug in the Rider store the day before.
  • So my boy takes me out for a Father's Day supper to Chili's on Saturday night. I hadn't been before, so my 10-year old recommends the ribs. Great ribs, he raves.
  • When the ribs come, he says "Oh yeah, it's the ribs at Montana's that I really like." Classic. However, there were no complaints about the eats at Chili's either.
  • Anyway, enough free plugs for local businesses.
  • The Minor A Twins won their playoff opener on the weekend. A win tonight vaults them into a Saturday showdown for a trip to the final. Of course you know the parents are way more excited about this than the kids, right?
  • The defending Grey Cup champs invade Mosaic Stadium tomorrow night. Despite being a pre-season contest, this one will have the intensity of a game that counts in the standings, I suspect.
  • The Riders may say last week's shellacking in Edmonton is not significant, but I guarantee they're determined to put in a better performance in this week's "nothing at stake" game.
  • So what happens if Darian Durant struggles and Steven Jyles looks good again? I shudder to think of such a scenario.
  • Congrats to Tony Playter on the new gig with SGI. With auto insurance rate hikes looming, I'm guessing Tony will be a busy guy! But, he'll also become reaquainted with a little something called weekends off. Which is not such a bad thing.
  • Thanks to Kelly Forsberg and the crew at the Rider office for treating the J-man so well when he and his "homies" toured the stadium last week. A great time was had by all!
  • So I'm guessing Brian Burke won't be trying to swing a trade for Dany Heatley? Burke's comments about "Heater's" trade demands were volcanic! And right on the money.
  • Then again, if Heatley is sad about the media scrutiny in Ottawa, trading him to Toronto would be poetic justice! He'd probably cry when getting worked over by a couple of those Toronto columnists.
  • Still no winner of this week's SportZone trivia contest (scroll down). Who doesn't like free pizza?
  • 13 days until the Ontario excursion of 2009. Hopefully I don't break any body parts this year!

No comments: