Friday, June 26, 2009

Friday thoughts

Next stop, the first official weekend of summer:

  • The NHL draft starts today in Montreal. Expect a flurry of activity away from the actual draft. Dany Heatley should be a former Ottawa Senator by the end of the day.
  • Regina's Mike Sillinger is apparently hanging up the blades. Rod Pedersen has the news of Silly's pending retirement on his blog today. Check it out here.
  • Former Pats netminder Josh Harding expects to be traded by the Minnesota Wild, possibly as early as today. I would have loved to ask Josh about that on my show, but we just weren't able to hook up this spring.
  • Will the New York Islanders do the expected, and take John Tavares with the first overall pick? Or will Leafs G.M. Brian Burke swing a deal to get Tavares in the blue and white?
  • Is it just me, or is Victor Hedman really overrated? A huge defenceman with no physical presence? No thanks.
  • Matt Duchene might end up being the best NHLer of all of this year's top picks.
  • A big thumbs up to (former?) Regina Rams Nick Hutchins and Tamon George, who survived cut down day with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
  • I see Reggie Hunt was released by Montreal. No, the Riders should not try to sign the Reaper. He was great in his day. This is no longer his day.
  • I stopped to talk to two ex-colleagues (who also happen to be smokers) on my way into work this morning. Now my shirt is going to stink all day. Great.
  • I think I can speak for many in my age group in saying Farrah Fawcett was our first significant celebrity crush. Yes, I had "the" poster on my bedroom wall. Actually, I think it's still bundled up with a bunch of sports posters at my mom's house in Ontario. Rest in peace, FF.
  • Yes, I was also one of the many who bought the Thriller album on cassette, and thought Michael Jackson was cool, in a girly sort of way.
  • A musical genius? Definitely. A pop icon? Sure. One bat-shit crazy dude? Yep. RIP, MJ.

No comments: