Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The highs and lows

I heard the news shortly before heading off to Access Communications last night to tape this week's episode of SportZone. The bodies of WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and young son were found in the family's Atlanta-area home. Now, the early indications suggest Benoit took the lives of his family members before killing himself. Senseless, shocking and horrifying.

Thank goodness for people like Jon Ryan. The Regina native, who toils as the punter for the NFL's Green Bay Packers was the first guest (full lineup later) on last night's taping. Here's how classy this young man is. Jon and I had an email discussion a couple of weeks ago about the possibility of him making an appearance on my show before heading back to Green Bay for training camp in late July. We're on a scaled-down taping schedule for the summer, and our schedules (Jon's and mine) just didn't jive. So, I wished him a good summer and moved on to other matters.

Then, out of the blue last Friday, Jon emailed to say he'd be getting into Regina earlier than expected, and would be available for last night's taping - if I still wanted him. DO YOU THINK?? Jon could have easily forgotten about my request and I wouldn't have had any reason at all to complain. However, this outstanding young man literally drove from Wisconsin yesterday, got off the highway and made a beeline straight to the Access studios last night - he hadn't even seen his family or friends yet!

That, ladies and gentlemen is the definition of class. Let's be clear - SportZone is a long ways down the food chain from the NFL Network, ESPN or TSN. And yet, a very busy professional athlete went out of his way to appear on my show and touch base with his many, many fans in this city. On a night when such a senseless tragedy was making news, Jon Ryan reminded me that integrity and humility still have a place in the world of professional sports. I thank him for that.

No comments: