Monday, June 25, 2012

Monday musings

A collection of thoughts in the aftermath of cut-down weekend in the CFL:

  • It was disappointing to see the Riders send Lance Frazier packing, but I prefer that to keeping players well past their "best before" date.
  • For an exhibition game, the entertainment value on Friday night's contest was pretty darn high!
  • I think we can safely say that the new seats in the north end zone are somewhat less than an overwhelming success. While we're at it (complaining), that new SGI drinking and driving ad is creepy. That's the most effeminate Joker I've ever seen!
  • On the bright side, the new scoreboards look great. And the south end zone seats apparently stayed in place, so that's a plus!
  • Kory Sheets looks poised for a huge year at running back. And Drew Willy has a certain "it" factor at quarterback.  I'm not suggesting he should supplant Darian Durant as the starter, but he's a definite upgrade over last year's #2 quarterback.
  • I'm sorry, but I think the Riders have serious issues at linebacker. Shomari Williams is not ready for prime time. The smart play would be to start Mike McCullough in the middle, at least for now. 
  • It's too bad the J-man and I couldn't have taken off on our southern Ontario holiday a day earlier.  I would have loved to take him to the Rider season opener in Hamilton Friday night!
  • Things are coming together very nicely for the RMF pee wee Unicorns. 'Twas a beautiful night for a coaches meeting on the deck at Chez Paczko last night.
  • For the first time in the five year history of our program, we may go into the season with high expectations on our shoulders.  I'll take it!
  • If you ever find yourself at the Stone's Throw coffee shop on Kramer Boulevard, I humbly suggest you don't order the iced mocha. Blech!
  • Why is it a person's "to do" list seems to grow exponentially the closer you get to your holidays? If I eliminate sleep this week, I may be able to get everything done! Maybe.

No comments: