Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Rat bites back

I found the following quote very interesting, in a piece Greg Harder did for today's Regina Pats season preview in the Leader-Post. Greg interviewed former Pats star Dale (The Rat) Derkatch, who was fired in the offseason after one year as Regina's head coach. He was quickly hired by the Prince Albert Raiders, as their Director of Player Personnel. Very interesting stuff, especially the highlighted line:

“Around this time last year I thought there was something else that was a good fit for me,” he said in reference to the Pats’ head-coaching post. “Who knows (if this is the right choice)? But I like the way things are structured in Prince Albert. I have a little more responsibility and along with that I have a little more say in what goes on than I did last year. You have responsibilities and pressure, but I like it because if things don’t go as they should that’s my fault. I enjoy working with the people that I’m working with. (Raiders head coach/GM) Bruno (Campese) and I talk every day — minimum once, usually two, three, four times. It’s good communication. I think that helps to make good decisions and move the organization in the right direction.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could take his quotes, and submit his name along with Tim Tisdale, Parry Shockey, Chad Mercier, and especially Bob Lowes. It's the same thing every year, and his Dad hasn't figured it out yet.

Obama

Anonymous said...

The current coach/GM marriage is one of convenience and comfort. In the last 15 years excellence has passed through the coaching ranks, but the decision making has been elsewhere. If this keeps up much longer there won't be any coaches left who haven't coached the Pats.

As long as Hunt can get this team to around .500 or slightly better BP will feel vindicated and be able to laud marked improvement over last year. The Pats glory days are long gone and will never return under the Parkers. They haven't done it in 15 years and wont even if they stay another 15. Excellence will not make its way in until the Parkers make their way out.