Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday thoughts

Here's what making the synapses fire today:

  • Eight years later, and I'm still shaken by the events of 9/11.
  • I remember very clearly where I was - in the newsroom at Harvard Broadcasting, doing the morning news run on the former CKCK radio.
  • I had just come out of the newsbooth following the 7 am news when CNN showed the second plane crashing into the WTC. At first I thought it was a cheesy disaster movie, before I realized the tv was tuned to CNN.
  • The following hours were a blur, as we scrambled to bring our listeners the latest news, which was pouring in faster then we could digest it.
  • After work, I picked up the J-man from his babysitter's, and hugged him almost the entire afternoon.
  • Two weeks later my radio career was done, and I entered the world of public relations/communications.
  • On to lighter fare...
  • Actually, I was in a pretty good mood when I posted the "douchebag primer" earlier this week. Sarcasm is very therapeutic, however.
  • Can the Riders make it two wins in a row over Winnipeg this week?
  • The return of Kitwana Jones should be a big boost in the locker room, and on special teams.
  • The atom Cougars have lost three games this year. Twice we blew large halftime leads. Remind of you of any other local football teams?
  • I'm getting an uneasy feeling about the 2009/10 edition of the Regina Pats. Seriously, can you blame anyone for being a bit skeptical?
  • One name has been conspicuously absent from the Pats preseason scoring summaries/highlight packages: Jordan Weal.
  • I'm starting to regret using the services of Level Corp last summer for leveling the foundation of my house. They were supposed to return for some follow-up work in June. I'm still waiting, and my phone calls are not being returned.
  • Suffice to say I won't be providing a glowing recommendation.
  • Feel free to pass along your own "stay away" warnings about local contractors/businesses. We could all benefit from sharing our respective horror stories, I think.
  • And, by all means pass along kudos and recommendations too - fair is fair.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay away from these businesses or contact the Better Business Bureau. If nothing is registered then ensure that you do thorough and extremely recent referencs. If more people start sticking together they can protect themselves from a lot of these shysters.

A company to avoid:
Carpet Superstore - The Sales Rep did a very low ball bid the person then signed off on. The Owner then contacts the person afterward to say the signed estimate was a gross mistake on the part of the Sales Rep. They say the person has to pay X amount more which was a considerable sum. He says he has a contract. He's sent a letter told to pay or they'll put a lien on his house. He contacts a lawyer who tells him he's better off paying than fighting. Total rip off, and many stories like this exist about this company.

Anonymous said...

Canadian Tire south-auto division. I could go on and on and on and on. They are nothing but crooks in there.

Anonymous said...

That's funny about Carpet superstore, the same thing happened to me there, only on a smaller scale.