Wednesday, December 31, 2008

So long, 2008!

It's time to bid adieu to 2008, and look ahead to '09:

  • The Saskatchewan Roughriders lost their head coach (Kent Austin) last January. However, the 2008 season wasn't lost until Michael Bishop rolled into town.
  • Would Marcus Crandell have flourished with a healthy receiving corps in 2008?
  • Seriously, did anyone think Michael Bishop was the answer? Seriously?
  • Rider slotbacks Jason Clermont and Andy Fantuz will battle for the CFL's Outstanding Canadian award in 2009.
  • The Regina Pats bowed out of the 2008 WHL playoffs with barely a whimper, losing to a much faster squad from Swift Current.
  • This year's edition is faster, but, outside of Jordan Weal, name me one bonafide, honest-to-goodness blue-chip young prospect on the Pats. Okay, I suppose Damien Ketlo would qualify too.
  • I really enjoyed my first taste of coaching minor football in 2008. I'd say the atom Cougars are stuck with me with another year, for better or worse.
  • My kid likes having me as his coach, which is all the endorsement I could ever need.
  • Young Jacob may not be a natural star athlete, but his work ethic is outstanding. Suffice to say I'm proud.
  • I wonder what changes Access will throw at us for SportZone in 2009? I've said it before, but Corey Matthews really is doing a fine job as the full-time co-host.
  • I'd also like to thank the other community co-hosts for their contributions in 2008 - so thanks Tim Hubic, Carlo Palazzo, Alynn Brischuk and Brandon Brooks!
  • Please be safe while ringing in the new year tonight. The fun starts with Canada vs the U.S. at the world junior tournament in Ottawa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

Bev

Anonymous said...

Happy new year to ya Pete!

Are you and I the only ones who see that the Pats talent pool is weak on this years squad. Weal and Ketlo are the only 16 yr old worth anything. Miller, Slobozian and Pym are mediocre and will be mediocre again next year. In my mind all three are trade bait. Perrault is better than any of them. Myles Bell is as well and he can't play until next season. What happened to Mulder? The forward squad is pee poor. With Derkatch and Perkins saying in Toon Town that the team out there was our next years line-up tells me get ready for another disappointing season. What 16th or 17th?