Tuesday, December 02, 2008

(Day after) Monday musings

Truth be told, I needed an extra day to recover from a weekend jaunt to Vancouver...
  • I'm no Stephen Harper fan/apologist, but I'm pretty sure Canadians did not vote for a coalition government this fall.
  • Seriously, Prime Minister Stephane Dion? Are we going to change the name of the country to Wuss-ovia?
  • Will the new national anthem be recorded by Rene Simard?
  • (Taliban) Jack Layton for Foreign Affairs Minister anyone?
  • Vancouver - nice city, but the rain would drive me bonkers if I had to live there.
  • Sure is a nice place to visit though. Lots and lots to see and do within easy walking distance of our hotel on Granville St.
  • AC/DC can still rock!
  • My ears have finally stopped ringing!
  • Do members of the Richie Hall fan club know there's a difference between being a coordinator and a head coach? Quite a different skill set, actually.
  • Having said that, if Richie does have the necessary attributes, nobody deserves an opportunity more than he does.
  • Not a successful road trip for the Pats so far, unless you count getting Prince George's coach fired a major accomplishment.
  • What has happened to Matt Strueby's production? He was lighting the lamp at a fantastic pace the first month of the season. Not so much since.
  • I wonder what Brian Burke's first big move will be as Leafs GM. I suspect it won't involve a trade with the Edmonton Oilers.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're saying you enjoyed the concert? :)

Pac58 said...

Yes, yes I did.

Anonymous said...

Pete - that thing in Ottawa is nothing more than a "Coup" that has apparently been planned for some time. An idiot(Dion) backed by a commie(Layton)supported by a seperatist(Douceppe). Ya that's what the voters voted for wasn't it. In some countries you can get shot for something like this..humm, not a bad idea. If this happens those idiots don't know the damage that will be done to this country. If there is no longer democracy, we in Western Canada might as well rid ourselves of this garbage.

Pac58 said...

I say we lock all four leaders in a room together until. . . actually, let's just leave them there.

It'll be darn interesting to see how how our Liberal-appointed Governor General deals with this mess.

Anonymous said...

Of course, more people voted against the Conservatives than for them in the last election, which is, of course, why we have a minority government right now, and why a coalition is allowed and possible. I don't see how letting the majority rule can be against democracy.

Pac58 said...

But only if the majority is in favour of this "marriage of convenience". I have no way of knowing if they are, but I suspect having the Bloc as part of the equation is a major non-starter for most voters.

Anonymous said...

And, of course, we also have no way of knowing how many Conservatives have gone the other way because the government's inaction lost them their jobs. Luckily, we don't have it quite as bad as the U.S., but we rely so heavily on the Americans that their economic problems are going to affect us negatively, too. We've been losing American-owned businesses and the hundreds (if not thousands) of jobs that those businesses provide.

I know it's moot now, but I could probably have supported the government more (and been more annoyed at the others for all this business) if the Harper government would take the economic crisis seriously.

Pac58 said...

It's quite telling when, in the midst of an economic crisis, the government of the day (boy, is that phrase accurate right now or what?) would make cut-blocking the opposition parties a priority.

The phrase "no one to blame but themselves" comes to mind. Having said that, I can't/won't give a thumbs-up to any arrangement involving Gilles Duceppe.

Thanks to abysmal voter turnout, Canadians seem to be getting the government we deserve.

Anonymous said...

I agree on that. I was talking to a young friend at election time. She was saying voting was a right. I couldn't convince her that with that right comes responsibility. I'd thought it was just the indifference of our youth until after the election. Then I realized that 40% of Canadians were that apathetic.

I've always said that if you don't vote, you have no right to complain. Funny, but for all the complaints I've heard about the political power struggles down east, you'd think we had a much higher turnout...