Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday Cheers and Jeers

After a brief hiatus, the much-adored and eagerly-anticipated weekly installment of Cheers and Jeers is back! Tell you what, I'll start:

Cheers

  • New Hope Dog Rescue - as I stumble through the process of bringing a pooch into the Paczko family for the first time, these folks have been patient, helpful and just a pleasure to deal with.
  • Prairie Mobile Communications - Shea Paisley and his crew are top-notch. And his advertising campaign featuring Jordan Eberle was simply outstanding!
  • Kings Park Speedway - the new board has some very exciting ideas/plans. I think it's worth checking out a race or two this summer.

Jeers

  • Saskatoon SPCA - Pretty much the polar opposite of New Hope. These people can't even be bothered to respond to an email (x2)!
  • The p.o.s. City of Regina worker who was blocking the right hand lane on Broad Street in front of the downtown Tim Horton's this morning. This tool was parked in his city-issued truck, scarfing down coffee and a donut (go figure!), right in front of a sign that clearly indicates there is no stopping in that lane from 7-8:30 am. And, he has the audacity (while in his city-issued truck, remember), to flip some other driver (not me) the bird!
  • People who can't wrap their heads around why it might take more than an hour or two to craft a ten minute speech. Without any background information. Oy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you get the plate number of that vehicle, and report it? My days of accepting that type of behavior from civic or crown employees is over. I have taken the point now to not get upset, but just document the details, and contact the company. In the case of lazy crown people I just document, and then formally write to my MLA with a CC to Bill Boyd the Minister responsible. Does it change anything? Maybe not, but it certainly is looked into. Boyd sent me a formal letter specifically addressing my issues, and stated there will be a follow up as to the results.

It is high time that tax payers started demanding they get what they are paying for.

Pac58 said...

I wish I had thought of that before I passed the truck, or I definitely would have!

Frankly, I was stunned that Cletus (may not be his name, but it seems to fit) would actually be sitting right in the vehicle, scarfing down his Timmy's treats - while blocking traffic.

Anonymous said...

Nothing surprises me anymore with them. You never want to paint them with the same brush, but from what I have gathered the work ethic there is null and void. It has to do primarly with no accountability. Where the city is concerned you see it with the Council. All vote in favour of rate hikes, even the new guys on Council. Nobody looks at accountabilty studies or effective Human Resource engineering. Again when you get a 16% voter turnout this is the type of thing that get filed under you get what you vote or or in this case pay for.

Bev said...

Sorry I'm late! And I've only got some cheers... no time for jeers this week!

New Hope people are wonderful -- and I'm not just saying that because I sometimes help them out by fostering a dog or two. One of the most professional rescues I've ever dealt with, and probably the most professional in Saskatchewan. Bright Eyes, in Regina, is new so just getting started, but even Jamey used to be a New Hope volunteer. :)

Beer Bros. While it's a little awkward that they don't open the restaurant until 5 pm, beyond that they are professional, friendly, and accomodating, and the food is pretty good. The pizzas could be bigger, though, but I can't complain -- mostly because they'll still make me a pizza that is no longer on the menu. :) Gotta love a place like that!

Pawsitive Attitudes Dogzone -- yep, the dog and I are taking more lessons. This time in agility. I think this is going to be fun!

Animal Clinic of Regina (on Garnet and Sask Drive): wonderful people, and Dr. Shepherd has been very helpful as we try to figure out what's wrong with my old dog. Dr. Shepherd, and other vets there, often go to small northern communities to perform veterinary services in places that don't have vets. And they're a walk-in clinic, so appointments aren't necessary. A great place, all around!