Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thursday Cheers and Jeers

First off, a thumbs up for the following folks, who have donated (or are going to donate) raffle prizes for the Atom Tier 3 Blackhawks hockey tournament in December:
  • SaskPower
  • Regina Pats
  • Regina Thunder
  • Regina Red Sox
  • Capital Pontiac
  • Prairie Fire Rugby
  • U of R Cougars
  • Gus Giannoutsos, Massage Therapist
  • SaskEnergy

If you, or your company, can lend a hand - let me know! We're especially hoping to find someone to sponsor the cost of prizes for all the players at the end of the tournament. It's a write off for you, and a great treat for about 75 kids.

Now, the usual Thursday stuff:

Cheers

  • Classic Landscape Company - not cheap, but they do good work.
  • Lakeview Fine Foods - also not cheap, but a great choice for a quick grocery run.
  • Hill Avenue Drugs - friendly staff, and they'll fill your prescription on the spot!
  • Press Box Sports Bar - a great place for before or after the big game.
  • Jersey City (Cornwall Centre) - great selection, and if they don't have it, they'll get it for you.

Jeers

  • Walmart (Southland Mall) - two tills open at 6 pm on a Saturday? TWO!
  • Eddie Bauer (Cornwall Centre) - it gets a little frustrating to see lots of good stuff on the Eddie Bauer website, only to find the local store never has any of that good stuff in stock!

That's my list. Who made yours this week?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheers
OTV Technologies - screen on my laptop was black, took it in there and they fixed it on the spot, no charge!

Mike

Bev said...

Cheers

The staff on floor 3F at the General Hospital, for the care they gave my great-aunt while she was in for an operation. When she lost her glasses, there were several people helping her look for them, even checking the laundry on a Sunday.

Red Lobster for their good service and good food last night. My nephew and I had a great time. (And their Warm Chocolate Chip Lava cookie was perfect for sharing!)

Pasta Prima -- can always count on them for good service and good food.

Jeers -- dang. I've been having it too good lately. No jeers this week, either. Wonder what's waiting for me next week?

Anonymous said...

First time I've ever posted on here, and this is a good section. About 7 years ago I went to an temp agency called Employment Network down on south Albert Street. They're like a ManPower or KellyGirl type of place. They lined me up with a Management/Sales job with what looked like a good company. It turned out to be a terrible place, and I was finished within a year of starting because I had walked into so much chaos. Of course they don't tell me this when they're pitching the job to me.

The other day I was on a job website and they are advertising a National Sales Job. I went to there website to look at it more. Here's parts of the ad.

Upon hire, you will receive hands-on comprehensive training and support from the company representatives including the sales manager, sales representatives from other territories and department managers. Your territory will include all of Saskatchewan with an estimated 30-40% of your time outside of the office and 60-70% inside.....actual time and travel will be dependent upon company goals and client needs. - So what does this mean?

They go on to say they provide the car allowance so I have to use MY car to drive all over Saskatchewan. That's going to be convienant when gas gets back to $1.25/ltr. Grade 12 education is needed, and a base salary of $45000. Big money hey for big travel.

I would really caution anybody to tread carefully when using these temp agencies to find a job.

Pac58 said...

That sounds like a certain health insurance company I worked for - briefly!

When you see they advertise the same job 2/3 times in the same year, that's never a good thing!

Bev said...

Okay. My first jeer here, ever.

Harlequin Books -- yes, the Romance publisher -- has now opened a new line that it calls 'self-publishing' but which is really vanity publishing. Basically, the author pays to get books printed, and then gets *some* (not all) of the profits off the book if they sell. And no, Harlequin does not sell the books for the author.

I'm very disappointed in what was once considered one of the most reputable publishers in North America, and I'm ashamed that it's based in Canada.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever gone to a career fair at the Queensbury where they've been advertising jobs. It's just job positions with titles, but they will not tell you the name of the companies they recruit for. My friend gave them a resume, and I did not. My friend never heard a word from them.

Bev said...

Here's a cheer for next week:

Go Riders!

:)