Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Regina Pats column for the week of Dec 5

I've been remiss in posting these columns, which appear bi-weekly in the Regina Pats' CHL Insider e-newsletter. Here's this week's:

Pats captain packs his camping gear

Regina Pats captain Logan Pyett is hoping to sample some eastern European fare over the Christmas holidays. To do so, the 19-year old blueliner first has to crack the roster of the Canadian junior national team, which will represent this country at the World Junior Championships in the Czech Republic. The tournament opens December 26 in Pardubice and Liberec.

Pyett is one of 37 players invited to the Team Canada selection camp, which runs December 10 -14 in Calgary. The training camp roster includes 15 players from the WHL, 12 from the OHL, 8 from the QMJHL and two players from U.S. colleges. Only three returnees from last year’s squad will attend the camp.

"I was hoping to be on the list so it's a bit of a relief,” Pyett told the Regina Leader-Post. “I've always been looking forward to that next step. Now that the camp is finally here, it's really exciting. Hopefully I can play good hockey and make the team. It would be a dream come true."

Pyett is no stranger to representing Canada at international competitions. He was part of the gold medal Canadian team at the 2006 under-18 Junior World Cup championship, and also represented Canada at the World under-18 championships last year. Now, he has his sights set on the brass ring, a spot on the world under-20 team; skating alongside the top junior-aged players in the country.

“I've kind of taken every step along the way and each step has gotten a little bit bigger," Pyett said after being informed of his invitation to the selection camp. "I think they know what I can bring to the table offensively," said the smooth-skating native of Milestone, Saskatchewan. "I'm going to show them I'm not a liability defensively.”

Pyett was a key member of the Canadian team that beat Russia in this summer’s Super Series. He’s one of 22 players from that team to be invited to the world junior camp. Despite his offensive talents, his key to making the team will be strong play in the defensive zone. “That's going to be the biggest thing. In the Super Series I had a little bit different role that way. I was penalty killing probably more than I played the power play. I just had to make sure I wasn't getting scored on. It worked well for me in the Super Series and they liked what they saw so hopefully I can do it again."

Pyett is having an outstanding season with the Pats. He leads all WHL defencemen with 13 goals in 31 games. He also has 28 points and leads the team with a plus-11 rating. Obviously, he’ll be missed at home if he makes the national team. That scenario would take him out of the Pats lineup for up to nine games. The Pats will already be without the services of head coach Curtis Hunt, who will serve as an assistant coach with Team Canada for a second straight year.

"I'm excited right now, there's no doubt about it, but I have to stay focused here in Regina," added Pyett. "Hopefully while I'm still here with the Pats we can get some winning done. It's going to be tough leaving the guys. If I was to make the team I'd be away from them for a while so I just want to finish strong here in Regina. Hopefully things go well before I leave."

The Pats have a busy week ahead of them. Regina hosted Brandon on Tuesday night (a 5-2 loss), then visits Edmonton and Red Deer on Thursday and Friday, before returning home to host Kelowna Sunday afternoon at the Brandt Centre.

No comments: