Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Farewell, old friend

I was fortunate enough to know Randy Shaw, and to call him a friend. Randy was the head coach of the Regina (formerly Prairie) Thunder football club during the years I handled communications for the Thunder. As such, I was able to gain an appreciation for Randy's gifts - as a football coach and as a human being.

I was devastated this morning to learn Randy passed away in his sleep Sunday night at the age of 53. To say it's not fair almost seems trite in this case. However, I can honestly say the football community, and the community at large, has lost a terrific person. My deepest condolences go out to Randy's wife Jan, their children Amy, Becky, Jeremy and Zachary and the entire Shaw family.

I guarantee I'm not the only person who feels Randy's dedication to his family, and his football family, was an inspiration. I have no doubt many tears are being shed in and around Regina today. Personally, I feel cheated. We should have been able to enjoy Randy for many more years. Then again, this is the season of coaching changes in all football leagues, so I guess heaven's team needed a new tactician. Well, they hit the jackpot this time.

Farewell, Randy. You'll be missed.

No comments: