Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Bye bye Oilers

I won't be shedding any tears if Carolina finishes off Edmonton in game five of the Stanley Cup final. I just can't throw my support behind the Oilers - not sure why. Maybe it's the sense of "divine entitlement" that Edmonton sports teams seem to present. Or, maybe I'm not big on looting and burning as a celebratory expression. For whatever reason, as much as I'd like to see the Cup return to Canada, I just can't get excited about the crew from Edmonton.

I wonder how the fans (both of them) in Raleigh will celebrate if their "beloved" Hurricanes win it all. And, as an aside, why the hell did they name their team after a devastating natural disaster? What was the thinking that went into that selection? Were the names Earthquakes, Famines and/or Plagues already taken?

Jacob's ball team returns to action tonight after an extended layoff. Time to get a winning streak going, as we head into playoff action next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point. The Carolina Faminnnnnnne!mh

Pac58 said...

Next up, the Saskatchewan Scurvies - the Seoul Tsunamis - the Baltimore Bird Flus.