Thursday, August 30, 2007

Only three more sleeps

The atmosphere around town is absolutely electric in advance of Sunday's Labour Day Classic. The Riders and Bombers both come in at the top of their games, and it's shaping up to be a weekend to remember - or not remember, in some cases :)

I did a guest host stint on last night's Coaches Show on CKRM, and defensive line coach Ron Estay had some interesting comments. Estay acknowledges that it'll be tough getting to Bombers pivot Kevin Glenn Sunday, due to Glenn's ability to get the ball off quickly. In those cases, Estay is reminding his charges to get their arms up, and hopefully deflect or knock down passes.

The 'ole Swamp Dog also regaled us with stories of Labour Day contests from his playing days with the Edmonton Eskimos. I loved the story of how Estay and his three d-line colleagues converged on a Calgary quarterback, and Estay was the only defender to come out of the collision without a concussion!

Another broadcasting note: I learned yesterday that I won't be co-hosting the Regina Pats post-game show on CKRM this season. Dem's da breaks, I guess. I suspect I'll still be involved in the game broadcasts on an occasional, pinch-hitting basis - so it's hardly the end of the world.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Labour Day game has all the makings of a great event. The teams are in first place respectively, the weather will be great and the beer cold. It will be very close I think.

Fans will miss your post game participation. Your comments and analysis were top notch. You have a great knowledge of the WHL and we will all miss your insightful forthright questions. I hope this change is for all the right reasons and not because there were too many softball pitchers out of work.

Pac58 said...

OF,

LOVE the softball comment! It gave me a good chuckle, thanks. I guess I'll have to keep my comments/opinions confined to this blog, and my cable show. I'll miss the post-game interaction with the fans, probably more than they will, but we'll all manage just fine I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Pistol!!!!!!!!!!

What the heck is going on, why are you not on the Pats Post Game Show?

Is this your decision, or was it CKRM or was is it Pedersen pulling the rug out?

I cannot believe it, I am not happy and I will be posting on Pedersens Blog to express my opinion. But I will await your answer before I do this!

Coach

Pac58 said...

Hey Coach,

Not my decision, but it's really not that big a deal. The Pats have changed the format of the post-game show, and there's really nothing for a second host to do. In a nutshell, that's it.

Anonymous said...

Too Bad Pistol,

I really enjoyed your post game comments, they will be missed!

Hey you can give them to us on here, I will look forward to them all winter long!

Coach

Anonymous said...

Yes Coach, I too am very disappointed!! Pete has always been a fair commentator. He gives some mild criticism when they do poorly but also he gives praise when they do well. That is the sign of a true prfessional.

Everything that goes around comes around!! I will continue to read every day.

Anonymous said...

On a different note - The Edmonton Oil Kings must have some hellish good talent on their roster. I read that they released Tommy Tartaglione outright!!! A little unorthodox maybe but the kid is a good team guy, can win you games, and they traded for him to boot. That's a bit of a head scratcher for sure.

Pac58 said...

Thanks gents, much appreciated. Absolutely I'll keep giving my two cents worth on the Pats on this site. Pretty sure they can't dump me from that!

Hard to figure what happened with Tommy. I know they have a couple of other goalies with WHL experience - maybe they simply outplayed him. I hope he lands with another team. He's a good kid.

Anonymous said...

Tommy was released for off ice drinking accusations. He wasn't even given an opportunity to win a job. His billet family has denied these accusations.

Pac58 said...

Not saying I believe the accusations, but it's really not that hard to keep something like that from your billets - if you want to.