Thursday, June 03, 2010

Thursday Cheers and Jeers

Back, even without popular demand, is our weekly installment of Cheers and Jeers. C'mon, where else are you gonna find an opportunity to anonymously slag people on the internet? Here's the list from the home office:

Cheers
  • Lil' Kritter's Dog Grooming. The business name could use a little linguistic help, but Kendra does a darn fine job! Dexter looks like a new dog.
  • Calvin Rhead at Krazy Kiley's. The patience of a saint, if not the car audio installation skills!
  • Eriksen Construction. One of these days the rain will stop and Dave will start building my garage. What a glorious day that will be!

Jeers

  • Air Canada. The J-man and I are relying on you to get us to Ontario for our annual trip this summer. Don't you dare be shut down by job action!
  • Ridergirl. What the hell, everyone else is!
  • 4 Seasons Sports Palace. Still a great place to catch a game or a PPV, but their lunch buffet has become a bit disappointing.
  • Former broadcasting executives with secret agendas. Oh, I think you know who you are!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheers

Industrial Luv - Great selection and helpful staff


Jeers

Industrial Luv - No return policy has it's drawbacks, but I can understand why

Bev said...

You know, I just got back from my vacation, and I'm actually in too good of a mood for jeers. This will be primarily for cheers!

So, cheers to:

Malcolm Jenkins, who has offered to match all donations to the Prince Albert Relay For Life, up to $500,000. If you want your pledge to be worth twice what you donate, go to http://convio.cancer.ca/site/TR?fr_id=6539&pg=entry Although their Relay For Life event is being held tomorrow, June 4, pledges can be made for a short while after that.

Romance author, Brenda Novak, whose online auction raised nearly $300,000 for Juvenile Diabetes research last month. That was in one *month*. The auction, too, was great, and full of opportunities!

K-Lane Kennels, who looked after the dogs while I was away. While one dog is fairly easy to look after, despite being on medication, the other is a little more... active. But they both came home safe and alive. :)

My sister, for mowing my grass for me last night. It had grown a full foot while I was away!

The Morgan Library in New York City -- actually more of a museum than a library. Great exhibits, and the staff were wonderful. I was with my friend who needed a wheelchair, and the staff was so kind about showing us where we wanted to go, and helping us get into and out of elevators.

The Backspace Writers' Conference in New York -- made special concessions so I could attend one day instead of two; and that one day was full of interesting information on writing and the publishing industry.

So many publishing industry folks who spoke to me, spent time talking with me, and taught me a lot, including Bella Stander, Ron Hogan, Gerald Gross, and Brett Sandusky.

The Sock Man in the East Village, who helped me find just the right T-shirts for my niece and nephew, and who sells the most interesting socks you'll find anywhere! And also John, just down the street, who sells good quality I heart NY T-shirts at 3 for $10.

And, of course, Pete, for adopting a rescue dog, and working so hard with the little guy. You know that Dexter loves you for it!

I do have one item that isn't really a jeer, but not a cheer, either. Delta Airlines was good to us -- friendly staff, easy to book flights online -- but I've never been on planes that small or old before. Not that I travel a lot by plane, but I found it a leetle disconcerting to hear odd noises from the engines... They did have to take one plane out of commission while we waited for it, but they cancelled another flight and gave us that plane, because our flight was international.

All in all, though, a great trip and a wonderful two weeks!